Frequently Asked Questions About the 4-Step Formula
Questions (click a question to see the answer)
- Is this program more for muscle building or fat loss?
- What types of training ideas will I learn in this program?
- Is this program designed for men or women?
- Am I too old? I'm older, heavily overweight, and out of shape. I also haven't worked out in years. Is this program going to be too hard for me to follow?
- Am I too young? I'm only 16, and I really want to get in better shape and get a flatter more defined stomach. Am I too young to start on a program like this?
- Do I need to join a gym or can I do these workouts at home?
- Does this program include any diet tips and meal plans to help lose body fat, or is it only about workouts?
- Does this program require me to buy any expensive supplements, powders, or diet pills?
- What if I'm a vegetarian. Will I still be able to use the fat loss nutritional guidance in this program?
- How much time do the workouts in your programs take and how often?
- I'm nervous about putting my credit card info into a website order form. Is it really safe to place an order on your website?
- What is an e-book and how will I download it?
- Does it matter what country I'm in and is the sale in US dollars?
- After ordering, how long until I can start using these techniques?
- Do I have to count calories with the 4-Step Formula?
- Will your recommendations make me get bulky or too muscular?
- Is this just another low carb diet?
- What kind of physical shape do I need to be in before I can start using your method right away?
- Can 4 Step Formula help me lose my belly, butt, or thigh fat? These have always been problem areas for me.
- How soon can I expect to see results?
- I've seen a lot of fat loss and fitness programs on the Internet. What makes yours different and better than everyone else's?
- Who is Muz Hughes and why should I listen to him?
- How does the 4 Step Formula compare to other popular weight loss programs (named individually)?
- Do I have to exercise for this program to work?
- Is this program an extreme diet?
- I am currently going through menopause. Will this program still work for me?
- I am pregnant, trying to get pregnant or nursing. Can I still follow this program?
- How will the Diet Solution Program affect my Diabetes?
- I am allergic to certain foods, can I still follow the 4 Step Formula?
- Do I need to follow the 4 Step Formula to the letter for it to work
- Does it matter what country I'm in and is the sale in US dollars?
- Can the Diet Solution Program be applied to my entire family (including my really young children)?
- Are there any risks or dangers associated with following the 4 Step Formula?
1. Is this program more for muscle building or fat loss?
Losing weight is fastest and most efficiently acheived when you build lean muscle mass at the same time, so both are addressed in the 4 Step Formula. However, woman will never acheive the same degree of muscularity as a man, because they do not have enough androgens (male hormones). So if you are a woman there is no need to be concerned you'll become muscle-bound since it is not achievable in woman without steroid use.
The 4 Step Formula includes 3 training programs from beginner to advanced, so you have the freedom to choose how hard you train.
You discover 3 complete training programs designed from over 20 different exercises which can be performed at home.
The exercises include step-by-step instructions on how to peform them, including professional illustrations for even better understanding plus muscle charts showing which muscles are being exercised. All of the exrcises are designed to be performed at home without the use of any special equipment.
3. Is this program designed for men or women?
I have seen both men and women achieve amazing results with the 4 Step Formula, it is not gender specific because it is not necessary to be gender specific beyond men requiring more calories and lifting heavier weights than women. Gender characteristics aside, the female and male body are very similar and respond identically to fat-hormone stimulation and proper nutrition.
Its almost universally presumed that men should do weights and women should do cardio, but the research conducted over the past 25 has shown time and time again, that cardio is EXTREMELY ineffective as a weight loss exercise... in short its a waste of time for anything other than cardio-pulmonary and cardio-vascular conditioning.
4. Am I too old? I'm older, heavily overweight, and out of shape. I also haven't worked out in years. Is this program going to be too hard for me to follow?
I developed this program with beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels of progressions. All of the training and dietary strategies can be used by everybody from teenagers looking to get stronger and leaner, all the way up to overweight grandmoms that simply want to feel and look better.
Even the most out of shape individuals will usually even be able to do most of the advanced exercises, except just with lighter weights or slower movements. Heck, even if you are so out of shape that you have to really go slow and start with the bare minimum of exercises, most readers have told me that the nutrition section of the book alone was well worth the investment and has opened their eyes to dozens of things that they had never realized they were doing wrong in their dietary habits.
So there...even if you can't jump right in with guns blazing into the full blown advanced training routines, simply start to use the dietary strategies to get a head start on losing some of that extra body fat, and then slowly increase your workout intensity until you can work up to all of the advanced exercises.
5. Am I too young? I'm only 16, and I really want to get in better shape and get a flatter more defined stomach. Am I too young to start on a program like this?
The dietary, stress and self esteem/self image therapy parts of the program are very suitable to teens. The exercise section should be approached with more caution since the long bones of teens still have an active epipheseal plate, which is the cartilagenous disc at the ends of the long bone shafts responsible for growth. These discs are producing cells which lengthen the bone and if overly compressed on a regular basis, they may ossify (turn to bone) prematurely and result in stunted growth. Howver, body weight exercises are very suitable.
Learning how to eat correctly at an early age is a wonderful gift and if embraced will result in a long life within an attractive and healthy body. Sadly this type of information is not taught in schools, not common knowledge to parents and millions of advertising dollars are spent each day to convince young people to eat greasy burgers, deep fried fries washed down with sugar laden soda.
However my first recommendation is always to join a gym if you have the opportunity because although I have been trained in bio-mechanics and exercise rehabilitation as well as being a gym instructor, I cannot create a personalized, individual program just for you without meeting face-to-face. Whereas, at a gym there are qualified instructors that can do just that.
7. Does this program include any diet tips and meal plans to help lose body fat, or is it only about workouts?
Yes absolutely you discover tips on eating, in fact the biggest part of the program is all about how to eat because 75% of your results will come from the way you eat.
- How to eat to control your #1 fat making hormone
- Which foods to eat and when to eat them
- Which foods to avoid and why
- How to eat without ever counting calories
- How to choose which foods to eat
- The #1 most fattening food in the Western World and how to avoid it
- A huge list of foods which can be eaten in large quantities without weight gain
- Tips for stopping yourself from over-eating
- Tips for stopping yourself from binge eating
- Tip on how to overcome cravings
- How to mdetermine portion sizes perfect for your body size without measuring anything
- A generic daily meal plan explaining what portions of each food type to eat at each meal of the day
- A 4-day eating guide with actual meal suggestions for every meal of the day
- Also included with the 4 Step Formula is the Recipe Book with recipes for every meal including snacks and dessert
- Also included is the GI of 149 Everyday Foods guide
- And the 17 Eating Commandments, which is the quintessential most powerful tips for eating to lose weight and get healthy
Plus much more..
8. Does this program require me to buy any expensive supplements, powders, or diet pills?
No, most diet pills and supplements are a waste of money or work in such a way that you are deprived of essential nutritions. Knowledge of good nutrition is the greatest tool you will ever have and when applied correctly the results in your body are profound. If you're vegetarian or a man wanting to build a lot of muscle then a whey protein powder for making shakes can be helpful but not necessary.
9. What if I'm a vegetarian. Will I still be able to use the fat loss nutritional guidance in this program?
Yes, the principles are the same if you are vegetarian, in fact vegetarians will probably find it easy since I encourage the consumption of a lot of vegetables. The lists of foods I recommend include many foods eligible to vegetarians and the recipe book also has some vegetarian recipes. The non-vegetarian recipes can easily be tweaked also to be suitable.
The 4 Step Formula will lead to an increase in lean muscle mass, which will require proteins for your body to create the muscle so if you are vegetarian be sure you get adequate protein.
10. How much time do the workouts in your programs take and how often?
I personally train for about 30 minutes 3 times a week. It is possible to do even less if you prefer, I have a very lean and muscular physique with only 30 minutes but if you are happy with a less extreme result then less is fine.
Often when I leave the gym, staff and other patrons are surpised to see me leave soon after I have arrived considering what amazing condition I am in... th truth is, I train 30 minutes because that's the perfect amount, anything more is overkill and can diminish results. 2 hour workouts are definitely not necessary and only lead to loss of enthusiasm and a condition known as overtraining which can result in loss of lean muscle mass and therefore reduced calorie burning.
11. I'm nervous about putting my credit card info into a website order form. Is it really safe to place an order on your website?
I also have reservations about using credit cards online unless I'm dealing with a reputable order processor. Your order is processed by a company called Clickbank, which is the world's largest online company specializing in digital products. Since 2000 they have processed over $2,000,000,000 (2 billion) in sales and use SSL encryption (web address begins with https://) which is the gold standard for protection of information sent by a user over the Internet.
Also, I have concerns about people ordering the 4 Step Formula with fraudulent or stolen cards so I use Clickbank to not only protect you but to protect my company also.
And if you have concerns about what I will do with your credit card details, I'll put your mind at rest by letting you know I have no access to them, those details are entirely between you and Clickbank. If you're still not sure, Paypal is also a payment option.
I work from a home office and don't get into the shops very often so I make most of my purchases online, without ever having a problem... I myself have bought several products from other vendors using Clickbank as their order processor.
All you need is a free software called Adobe Acrobat, which comes pre-installed on all PCs and Macs, however if you don't haveit, you can download free from here:
To read 4-Step Formula, just click the pdf file after you have downloaded it and it will open automatically. If you prefer to read a paper book, it easy to print the 4 Step Formula at home.
13. Does it matter what country I'm in and is the sale in US dollars?
You can order online no matter what country you're located in, and we also accept orders 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Our secure credit card processor will automatically convert the US dollars to your country's currency and you can even use Paypal if you prefer.
14.After ordering, how long until I can start using these techniques?
I recommend you begin with the Quick Start Guide which is about 40 pages long and then the 17 Eating Commandments which is only a couple pages. both of these combined can be read in about 30 minutes, following which you can immediately begin implementing the principles in your life.
I do strongly recommend you read the complete main book because the bulk of the knowledge is contained in there, whereas the Quick Start Guide only contains the How-To without the 'why'.
15. Do I have to count calories with the 4-Step Formula?
No, I have never counted calories... I'm aware that some foods are high in empty calories and so I avoid them but if someone asked me how many calories I eat a day I couldn't even make an estimation because I have no idea. I have found it completely unnecessary to know how many calories I consume and still achieved my amazing results.
I do show you a simple technique for measuring portions without using any type of scale or other tool which is very effective and all you need to know.
16. Will your recommendations make me get bulky or too muscular?
Its been conclusively proven via scientific studies that woman cannot become muscle-bound because they do not have enough andogens (masculine hormones). Many famous female celebrities with amazing bodies regularly use weights including Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Kate Hudson and Carmen Electra.
17. Is this just another low carb diet?
Haha, I would never wish that on you... probably the most miserable diet I ever attempted was a low carb diet. Not only was it completely ineffective, I hated every moment of it... carbs are just too nice to eat.
What I do show you is which carbs to eat, which to avoid and more importantly, what times of the day to eat them.
18. What kind of physical shape do I need to be in before I can start using your method right away?
You must consult your doctor before beginning any program of diet or exercise, including the 4 Step Formula. As long as your doctor agrees you are not at risk, then your condition doesn't really matter. In fact, the worst shape you are in then the greater beenfit you will receive because to get in terrible shape you need terrible habits and behaviors. Once you change to the strategies I teach, your changes will occur very quickly.
19. Can 4 Step Formula help me lose my belly, butt, or thigh fat? These have always been problem areas for me.
Yes for sure, I had a huge belly before I began. Another girl I trained had a huge butt (not my opinion, those were her words, lol) and she shrunk it right down with the 4 Step Formula. But I don't want to be misleading and give the impression you can target weight loss from specific body areas because it is simply not possible, as proven by scientific studies. Your body is a single unit and so fat loss will occur all over your body simultaneously.
20. How soon can I expect to see results?
You will notice strength increases within the first few days. Your body weight will probably also go down a few pounds in the first week because the change to your diet I teach will likely clean out your intestinal tract of processed muck that has accumulated and slow the movement of food through your digestive system. Within 14 days you'll notice you are distinctly slimmer and having a more attractive appearance in the mirror.
By day 30 you will well and truly be on your way and by day 45 your physique will be so different friends and family are going to notice.
You'll see the 4 Step Formula, is a lifestyle rather than a diet program so I hope when you see the sense of it you'll adapt many of the principles as lifestlye. When you do, you find that your physique and appearance will continue to improve for many months and even years depending on your starting place.
I continued to improve until I reached a point at 1 year from the day i started, at which time I considered myself to be in perfect physical condition... I get looks where ever I go and many people think I'm a professional athelete because of my super conditioned physique. Few people know just how easy it is and presume a person that looks like me must train all day every day.
21. I've seen a lot of fat loss and fitness programs on the Internet. What makes yours different and better than everyone else's?
Unlike many other 'me-too' programs, the 4 Step Formula is genuinely different for a number of reasons.
The biggest difference is 99% of programs focus on diet alone or maybe diet and exercise but I include 2 additional components which are absolutely essential to successful weight loss. I haven't included these components just to be different but because through the course of my examination of current scientific publications of research studies, it became apparent that the dismal long term prospects of dieters was due to a couple of weight gain factors which are completely overlooked by typical weight loss programs and needed to be addressed.
Also, the 4 Step Formula is not a program you follow just until you reach your goals, it is instead a lifestyle... I designed it to be easily transition into a lifestyle, there are no gimmicks, it is quite literally a guide to how to treat your body the way it wants to be treated.
22. Who is Muz Hughes and why should I listen to him?
Muz (Murray Hughes B.Sc.) is a university graduated scientist specializing in human anatomy, human bio-chemistry, human bio-mechanics and human neurophysiology. He has also been trained in exercise rehabilitation and was a gym instructor for several years.
The 4 Step Formula was created as personal thesis project using scientific study review protocols to ascertain what science has proven to work in regard to weight loss, what science has proven are the causes of weight loss failure and which strategies, including social, behavioral and emotional proven to circumvent them.
Lastly, Muz was in terrible shape himself before testing the formula on himself and documented the amazing transformation he underwent as genuine and indisputable proof the 4 Step Formula works.
23. How does the 4 Step Formula compare to other popular weight loss programs (named individually)?
The Atkins Diet is an extremely low carbohydrate diet that limits every type of carbohydrate (even fruits and vegetables). I agree eating the wrong carbs at the wrong times of the day is a large contributor to weight problems but I don't agree in extreme carb deprivation because they are essential to feelings of well being plus fruits and vegetables contain many nutrients not found in fats and proteins. Any diet that promotes consumption of fats and proteins at the exclusion of carbs is unbalanced, unlikely to be maintained, boring and just not healthly.
The Zone Diet teaches 4 main principles:
1. Eat more fruits and vegetables, and less pasta, breads, grains and starches
2. Eat small amounts of low-fat protein at every meal and snack
3. Eat more frequent meals with fewer calories
4. Drink eight glasses of water per day
As far as diets go this one is well balanced and follows healthy principles that promote health and weight loss, however some of the foods they recommend contain HFCS and soy derived products, which are disrupt hormonal balance and lead to weight gain.
The South Beach Diet promotes healthy protein sources at each meal while keeping complex carbohydrates to a minimum. The Diet Solution Program also teaches the importance of protein and the difference between those carbs that are healthy and those that are not. While I feel complex carbs are essential, I certainly do not agree the use of artificial sweeteners as the South Beach Diet does because diet products and diet drinks filled with sweeteners are toxic to your liver, and healthy liver function is absolutely vital to successful weight loss. Studies show there is a direct relationship between liver toxicity and weight gain. South Beach products such as soy, corn syrup and palm kernel oil are also on my 'don't eat' list.
The Rice Diet Solution
The plan consists of a very low-calorie, high-complex carbohydrate, low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar, low-protein, whole-foods diet. The plan allows for whole-grain starches, low-sodium beans, fruits, vegetables, nonfat dairy and very lean protein sources. The Rice Diet has been used in specific clinics as quite an extreme and fast approach to weight loss.
However, many of the essential chemical reactions and pathways in your body require the right kind of fats so to completely go without them is not healthy. This type of eating style while effective at weight loss is not sustainable and very difficult to transition into a day-to-day lifestyle, which is vitally important for long term results.
Kathy Freston Detox
This program is a 21 day detox, which can be beneficial and a great way to cleanse your system but it is not designed to be used as a long term eating plan. After the detox you need to have an easily sustainable program in place to maintain your results and continue to improve.
24. Do I have to exercise for this program to work?
No, you can get results without the use of exercise but those results will be slower in coming and not as good when they arrive because without an increase in lean muscle mass resutling from exercise, you will not elevate your 24/7 rate of calorie burning. Also without exercise you will not tone your muscles for a better shape.
25. Is this program an extreme diet?
No, there is nothing extreme about the 4 Step Formula... because there are 4 components, there is less pressure on each component. So your results are less dependent on your diet or your levels of exercise, than they are in other programs. The 4 components allow for greater distribution of load and so the 'extreme' nature of most diets is minimized, making it more like a lifestyle rather than a regiment.
27. I am pregnant, trying to get pregnant or nursing. Can I still follow this program?
Yes because the 4 Step Formula is not a diet, instead its a guide to ultra healthy living, without any type of deprivation. So you will experience stellar levels of health and vitality which you can pass onto your child.
28. How will the Diet Solution Program affect my Diabetes?
Of course if you are diabetic you need to consult your doctor before any diet change but the 4 Step Formula's eating guidelines are primarily focussed on controlling your blood sugar through correct portion size, food selection and timing while increasing lean muscle and burning more calories... all of these factors are essential to the managing of diabetes.
29. I am allergic to certain foods, can I still follow the 4 Step Formula?
Yes, there are many foods to choose from. Its the principles which re important rather than the actual foods I discuss. If you know what you are allergic too then adapt the principles to fit in with the foods you can eat and enjoy which are still considered 4 Step formula complaint.
30. Do I need to follow the 4 Step Formula to the letter for it to work?
I recommend you follow the formula closely for the first few weeks and then as you feel the strain, treat yourself a little without going overboard. When you follow the 4 Step Formula, you create an internal chemical environment which is conducive to weight loss, so the ocassional naughty meal is not significant enough to stop your momentum. I take days off from training and being the single parent of a 9 year old I'm often pressured to buy ice-cream, pizza, burger or other type of delicious but junky food. However I indulge witout guilt because I know it will have almost zero impact on my appearance.
Because the formula has 4 components, there is a greater distribution of load so even when I eat teh wrong foods, there are still 3 other components I'm following which are continuing my forward momentum, whereas programs which focus solely on diet are compleely derailed when you eat the wrong food since there is nothing else you are doing to achieve your results.
31. Can the Diet Solution Program be applied to my entire family (including my really young children)?
I feed my son using the same 4-Step Formula principles and he is the healthiest looking child in our neighborhood. He is lean, toned and bounding with vitality without mood swings or hyper behavior which I observe in his friends that have regular access to sweets, candy and other junk foods.
32. Are there any risks or dangers associated with following the 4 Step Formula?
If you do not have any pre-existing health conditions then you should not experience any problems. However, it is essential you consult your doctor before starting this or any other program.